A tree-covered riverwalk with quaint stone bridges. An eleven-day pageant with confetti and hen on a stick. Remembering the Alamo. In terms of having an excellent time steeped in historical past, there are such a lot of scenic and interesting issues to do in San Antonio, Texas.
You’ll be able to wander round in certainly one of their many museums, take a riverboat down a fairy-tale-esque river, and stroll the grounds of what was as soon as a Mission turned grotesque battlefield. To not point out beautiful gardens, unimaginable meals, and pleasant folks. It’s simple to seek out your self falling in love with San Antonio in your first go to!
Visiting Texas for the primary time I puzzled what it could be like. A desert wasteland? No, in no way, fortunately! Would everybody be in ten-gallon hats and cowboy boots? Nicely, not everybody, however you’ll undoubtedly see some Texan style! And would the vibes be off since Texas has some actually questionable politics? I’m glad to say no – town is numerous and welcoming. So let’s get into it!
Psst: Planning a go to to Texas or the West? Try a few of our different posts that will help you plan your journey!
The Greatest Time to Go to San Antonio, Texas
The very best time to San Antonio, Texas is earlier than it will get too scorching or too chilly (all you want is a lightweight jacket), usually in March/April or October/November. The temperatures throughout this time vary from the mid-60s to the 80s, and once I went in April it obtained a bit scorching at noon however not stifling.
I additionally visited San Antonio throughout their Fiesta pageant which occurs each April, and fell in love with the vitality town exudes throughout this time. Folks come out to occasion, very similar to we do right here in Louisville through the Kentucky Derby Competition or Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and there was a lot to do and see throughout this time.
I extremely suggest visiting throughout April through the 11-long-day pageant (extra on this under), and for those who’re into enjoyable and many occasions to attend, this actually is one of the best time to discover town!
Find out how to Get to San Antonio, Texas
Texas is a big state, and the simplest technique to get right here is to fly. Many airways don’t fly instantly into San Antonio however join by means of Dallas, which is about an hour’s flight away. The San Antonio airport itself (SAT) is sufficiently small to get by means of rapidly and is just quarter-hour away from the middle of town.
Find out how to get round San Antonio, Texas
There are a few methods to get round San Antonio simply. These are:
- Strolling: I stayed downtown proper throughout the road from the Alamo throughout my keep and was capable of stroll to a whole lot of the cultural highlights of town, together with the Alamo (after all), the River Stroll, the Previous Market Sq., a number of of the museums, some nice eating places, and many of the Fiesta occasions.
- Experience Shares or Rental Vehicles: To succeed in my different locations I used rideshares, however this will add up rapidly. In the event you’re going to remain for quite a lot of days renting a automobile could also be your best choice, however not completely needed.
- The Bus: San Antonio has a bus system known as the VIA Metropolitan Transit that runs a number of traces for an affordable value.
Issues to do in San Antonio, Texas
There are such a lot of issues to do in San Antonio, Texas, the place does one start? Nicely to get the heartbeat of town, and the historical past that constructed it, there may be one cease that can put into perspective the tradition, and complex historical past of town and the state of Texas. Lest we overlook, let’s begin with studying in regards to the historical past of the Alamo!
Be taught Your Texan Historical past on the Alamo
Even for those who aren’t the largest historical past buff, the Alamo is an efficient place to begin your time in San Antonio as a result of it places town, and the state of Texas, into historic perspective.
The Alamo is positioned smack dab in the midst of downtown San Antonio, and it looks like the middle of the wheel which the remainder of town followers out from. Subsequent to it’s a mall and a number of other motels, however strolling across the Alamo grounds looks like being in a distinct world.
When most individuals consider the Alamo they solely consider the long-lasting Alamo church, which after all could be very stunning and evocative, however the surrounding grounds are simply as a lot of the unique Alamo, though many of the partitions and buildings are lacking at present.
The San Antonio space was initially occupied by the Tāp Pīlam Coahuiltecan Nation of Indigenous Peoples till their inhabitants was tremendously diminished by the arrival of Spanish Franciscan Missionaries who established San Antonio de Valero Mission in 1718.
In 1793, the Spanish Crown issued an order for the missions in Texas (which was nonetheless a part of Mexico at this level) to be secularized, so in 1803, a Spanish cavalry unit known as La Segunda Compañía Volante de San Carlos de Parras transformed the outdated mission into army barracks which turned “the Alamo”.
In 1821 Mexico gained its independence from Spain, then Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna in 1833 abolished the Structure of 1824, altering his political opinions from federalism to centralism, inflicting Mexico to fall right into a civil conflict and Texas to hunt its personal independence.
On October 2, 1835, the Texas Revolution started within the city of Gonzales, when the Mexican Military refused at hand again a canon to the Texans who lent them it. Ultimately, the Texans fired a shot on the Mexican Military, resulting in the beginning of the Texas Revolution.
The Texans hunkered down on the Alamo, as Common Santa Anna’s Military marched towards Texas. On March 2, 1836, Texas declared its independence from Mexico. The Battle of the Alamo came about on March 6, 1836, and was actually a really small second on this complete political turmoil – the battle lasted solely 90 minutes, and Santa Anna’s Military worn out all 200 defenders.
In the present day the Alamo stands for bravery, revolution, and resilience, although it has a extra difficult aspect, in that a part of the political unrest of the Texans was they needed to battle Mexico to hold their proper to personal slaves. Like nearly all of US historical past, there’s a unusual line between honoring the difficult previous and utilizing it to information us to a greater future.
Visiting the Alamo church is free with a timed ticket, and you can too take a guided tour or non-public tour (Ernesto was an incredible information!). In addition they simply opened the model new Ralston Household Collections Heart, which options an enormous assortment of things associated to the Alamo (many donated by singer Phil Collins) together with Santa Anna’s subject sword, a rifle owned by Davy Crockett, and a Violin comprised of the Alamo church wooden.
The Alamo is at present going by means of some enlargement efforts, constructing out components of the unique Alamo so guests can see what your complete advanced would have seemed like earlier than Santa Anna’s military destroyed most of it. Try Mission San Jose if you wish to discover a mission that has been higher preserved (i.e. not destroyed), which is San Antonio’s Nation Park, and you’ll even hit up a whole lot of the missions on a non-public tour!
Get together Throughout Fiesta®
Fiesta® San Antonio is a long-standing occasion, initially began in 1891 a one-parade occasion to honor those that died on the Alamo and Battle of San Jacinto, the ultimate battle of the Texas Revolution. In the present day the occasion lives on within the month of April, however moderately than being a single parade, it has developed into an 11-day-celebration that honors all issues San Antonio, together with its numerous residents, with parades (a number of ones!), music, patriotic observances, Fiesta Royalty with rhinestone attire, and many good meals and drinks!
Although the unique pageant could have had extra of the strictly Patriotic historical past related to it, Fiesta at present brings town collectively all for an excellent trigger – The Fiesta® San Antonio Fee Inc. is a nonprofit, volunteer, self-supporting group and the funds raised present providers to San Antonio residents all year long. It actually is a celebration with a function!
You’ll see folks carrying flower crowns (halos), smashing confetti eggs on one another’s heads (Cascarones), and carrying colourful badges on their garments (medals) which you should buy or it’s possible you’ll be given by enterprise or party-goers. For Fiesta you gown up – we’re speaking a complete colour explosion, and also you’ll see lots of people in Latin-inspired embroidered tops and large gaudy hats, very similar to the Kentucky Derby!
Now that you already know a *little* about what Fiesta® San Antonio is, listed here are among the occasions you possibly can’t miss:
- A Evening in Previous San Antonio (NIOSA) – A Evening in Previous San Antonio or NIOSA (as you’ll extra generally see it written or heard it mentioned as), is a four-day lengthy occasion that celebrates the tradition of San Antonio’s residents. It feels loads like Disney World in a method – there are various completely different “lands” stuffed with meals and drinks from that tradition which takes place within the downtown historic arts village of La Villita. You will get escargot from France, hen on a stick from New Orleans, pretzels from Germany, elote from Mexico, and a lot extra. Stay music fills the air, everyone seems to be consuming and having enjoyable, and you’ll discover the world in a single night time!
- Battle of the Flowers Parade – This 2.5-hour+ parade is the end result of the Fiesta® actions, and within the days main as much as it, you’ll see folks organising bleachers all around the metropolis for the 45,000 seats which can be bought. The Battle of the Flowers® Affiliation is the one all-women, all-volunteer group producing occasions of its type and you’ll anticipate to see army shows, cultural floats, and the Fiesta® Royalty, together with its duchesses in lengthy, ostentatious beaded attire. You’ll hear spectators yelling for the ladies to “present us your footwear!”, and so they’ll present what they’re carrying beneath their attire to the viewers – normally rhinestone cowboy boots!
- Cornyation – Cornyation (a spoof on “coronation”) began within the Fifties as a technique to make enjoyable of the wealthy, Anglo residents of the Fiesta® Royal Courtroom and the Coronation of the Queen of the Order of the Alamo, the place yearly 24 ladies of eligible marriage age stroll throughout the Coronation stage and up a set of stairs, ready for the crowning of their Princess and Queen. The primary Cornyation in 1951 mocked the Coronation theme of 1950, the “Courtroom of Islands,” by crowning as a substitute an “Empress of the Cracked Salad Bowl” on the river of the thousand islands, the place all of the Cornyation duchesses dressed up as lettuce and different greens. In the present day Cornyation retains with the custom of panning the elite – you’ll see drag queens impersonating CoUNTry queens, skits making enjoyable of native and nationwide politics, and a complete lot of campy and homosexual musical numbers. It’s chaotic, irreverent, and humorous. I like to recommend this wonderful ebook – Cornyation: San Antonio’s Outrageous Fiesta Custom – to be taught extra about this tremendous enjoyable custom.
- Fiesta de los Reyes – Situated within the Historic Market Sq., which has been used as a gathering level for meals and the native “chili queens” since 1730, you could find your self amongst 100+ native distributors throughout an enormous avenue occasion. The Fiesta itself is the biggest free occasion in San Antonio, and you’ll stroll down the road with a margarita whereas noshing on a hen on a stick. Stay music permeates the air and it’s fantastic folks watching amongst the historic structure! The Historic Market Sq. can also be vigorous on any weekend it’s possible you’ll be on the town.
Stroll Alongside the River Stroll and Take a River Cruise
One of the crucial charming locations in San Antonio is the River Stroll, which weaves between buildings and beneath stone bridges, with eating places and colourful fiesta banners lining the route. In the event you’ve ever been to EPCOT it’s a bit just like the Gran Fiesta Tour within the Mexico pavilion – however in actual life!
The River Stroll is definitely accessible from most locations downtown, and also you’ll see indicators pointing down stairs throughout to get to the River Stroll. As you stroll down the largely pure river, it’s possible you’ll discover the Arnerson River Theatre, which you’ll know because the place the place Miss Rhode Island provides her well-known “good date” reply in Miss Congeniality (April twenty fifth).
Top-of-the-line methods to essentially see the place this little river winds is by taking a Go Rio River Cruise, which is a 35-minute narrated boat tour in a colourful and cozy small barge boat. You’ll find out about issues like how 300 folks fall within the river per 12 months, most of whom are drunk or by chance fall in when it’s crowded throughout parades across the river.
In your journey, you’ll wind previous iconic spots, just like the Previous Mill Crossing Mural the place Teddy Roosevelt led his Tough Riders, and Selena’s Bridge, the place Tejano famous person Selena Quintanilla Pérez’s husband proposed to her within the film (as performed by J-Lo, after all). You’ll additionally be taught in regards to the historic structure and see some big trendy sculptures which loom over the river.
Seeing these scenic bridges and folks sipping on margaritas at little eating places on the shore, like at Casa Rio, the primary restaurant to be constructed alongside the river, it’s simple to see why the River Stroll is so magical!
Cease to Scent the Roses at a Backyard
Since San Antonio is in a temperate local weather (i.e. scorching), it’s simple for lots of tropical crops to develop right here. My preliminary thought was that San Antonio was going to be extra like a desert moderately than the surprisingly lush place that it truly is, although I used to be advised that by the tip of summer season the crops are fairly baked.
Fortunately, there are two nice locations to soak up each the native flora of Texas, but in addition some wonderful tropical crops you possibly can solely see in a cultivated setting.
San Antonio Botanical Backyard
The San Antonio Botanical Backyard is a 38-acre city oasis of crops, flowers, and loads of birds, bees, and butterflies fluttering about. Right here you possibly can stroll by means of culinary gardens, previous large plantings of native perennials feeding the native fauna, and thru large sculptural greenhouses, stuffed with an unimaginable assortment of orchids, ferns, palms, and different unique crops.
Critically, as soon as the water misters come on within the greenhouses and also you’re strolling by means of lush inexperienced and a plethora of rainbow orchids, you’ll really feel such as you’re in a prehistoric film – sans the dinosaurs. You additionally can not miss wandering by means of the Japanese gardens, the Texas native trails full with little log cabins, and the formal backyard, stuffed with roses and eye-popping snapdragons.
When you’re achieved together with your afternoon stroll, dine on the adjoining Jardin Restaurant. Cool off with a refreshing frozen peach bellini, and their grilled cheese with candy tomato jam is to die for. In the event you’re within the temper for one thing heavier, attempt their house-made pasta, just like the decadent pan-seared potato gnocchi. Being proper subsequent to a backyard, you already know the whole lot is as recent as it could get!
Japanese Tea Backyard
The Japanese Tea Backyard was as soon as a limestone quarry and cement manufacturing facility on the flip of the century, however in 1916 Park Commissioner Ray Lambert seemed out over the rocky void and thought, “You understand what, this could make an epic Japanese backyard.” So it turned what it’s now – a jaw-dropping, lush year-round backyard with an abundance of flowers, shaded walkways, stone bridges over Koi ponds, and a dramatic 60-foot waterfall.
As you climb the steps and look over the huge backyard under, water pouring from the waterfall above, you’ll perceive why folks flock right here to take images and basic wander round such a zen place.
The backyard is free and open to the general public 7am to 5pm daily, and arriving early is healthier moderately than later since even in spring and fall San Antonio afternoons can get scorching and steamy. In the event you get hungry for a snack, you possibly can seize some meals from the adjoining Jingu Home which has spring rolls, boba tea, dumplings, and extra!
The Saga at San Fernando Cathedral
By day, the San Fernando Cathedral is a beautiful Catholic cathedral established in 1731, however by night time it turns into The Saga at San Fernando Cathedral, a colourful gentle present that tells the story of San Antonio by means of music and dazzling photographs.
Throughout this 24-minute journey by worldwide artist Xavier de Richemont, you’ll see over 7000 sq. ft of sunshine, colour, and visible narration overtop the beautiful structure of the cathedral.
The Saga tells the story with always shifting, considerably trippy visuals, portray the story with music from the Native Individuals who known as this area dwelling, to the arrival and colonization of the Spanish, to the battle on the Alamo, to San Antonio at present.
The present is free and takes place each Tuesday by means of Sunday at 9pm and 9:30pm.
Stuff Your Face
San Antonio has no scarcity of scrumptious eats, I imply, who doesn’t like some wonderful Tex-Mex meals? Moreover all of the flavors of town’s Mexican affect, San Antonio is the culinary capital of Texas and is among the two U.S. cities (the opposite being Tuscon) designated a UNESCO Artistic Metropolis of Gastronomy, and possibly the rationale I placed on a lot weight in 5 days.
Since San Antonio can also be dwelling to a Culinary Institute of America campus, that almost all definitely helps them produce some high cooks and a few actually distinctive eating experiences. A few of my favourite eating places in San Antonio I’ve tried are:
- Botika – Botika is positioned within the Pearl, and its menu incorporates “a melting pot of South American and South East Asian flavors” which is precisely what you possibly can anticipate finding right here. To start out, get the steam buns which embrace crispy pork stomach, caramelized onion hoisin sauce, pickled crimson cabbage, cucumbers, and mint. To your fundamental, get the plain star Lomo Saltado, a savory and decadent dish with Wok stir-fried shoulder tender steak, siyao, wedge fries, candy plantain, pickled aji, and salsa criolla. I may eat this each time I come right here!
- Greatest High quality Daughter – Additionally positioned within the Pearl in a 1906 home with 4 otherwise adorned rooms, Greatest High quality Daughter is a New Asian-American Restaurant with some critical fashion. As soon as you compromise into this inventive and comfortable restaurant, order a Tremendous Bien cocktail with Mezcal, Watermelon-Ginger Cordial, and lemon juice that’s smoky and candy. For a starter, get the Mochi Cheddar Hush Puppies that are tacky and chewy and include Thai chili jam (I dream of those), and for a family-style fundamental get the Cashew Hen, which is tremendous flavorful and crispy and nothing like take-out!
- La Gloria – Situated within the Pearl as effectively (see a theme?), La Gloria “celebrates the wealthy and scrumptious avenue meals from inside Mexico” by offering lotssss of fine Mexican eats. As you sit exterior among the many shade and colourful decorations overlooking the scenic river stroll (one of the best view on the town?), get certainly one of their margaritas which were voted greatest in San Antonio and an order of the Tradicional Queso Fundido and chips. For a bit extra sustenance than tequila and cheese, you possibly can’t go fallacious with their Tacos Al Pastor.
- Dough Pizzeria Napoletana – Dough is the place to go for high quality Neapolitan pizza, the place their wood-burning ovens that bake the pizzas to perfection in 90 seconds at over 900 levels. Dough options an intensive wine choice, or get a flight of crimson or white wine to find your new favourite wine (I positive did, the San Salvatore Ceraso Aglianico Paestum). To start out attempt their Signature Burrata Al Tartufo© (so good it’s copywritten) with house-made burrata stuffed with truffle essence, mascarpone, and ricotta and paired farm recent tomatoes, rosemary balsamic discount, additional virgin olive oil, and house-made flatbread. To your pizza course, get the Fontina E Salsiccia with house-made sausage, fontina cheese, caramelized candy onions, oak roasted mushrooms, thyme, Locatelli pecorino romano, and rosemary balsamic discount. Buon Appetito!
- La Panadería – La Panadería is a quick-service bakery and cafe with a number of areas round city (together with downtown), which is nice to get a meal on the go! They specialise in handmade bread and pan dulce impressed by Mexico’s Golden Period, which pulls affect from French, Italian and American breadmaking strategies, together with a 48-hour fermentation course of. Get a puff pastry like a frosting-dipped Oreja, or a conventional Mexican candy bread like a Concha. It’s also possible to get sandwiches on their recent baked items just like the El Favorito served on a spherical croissant with ham, swiss cheese, and two sunny aspect up eggs.
Discover the Historic Pearl
The Historic Pearl in San Antonio is a literal gem of scrumptious eateries, native boutique outlets, and loads of laid-back but stylish ambiance paired with beautiful structure. This space has been bringing folks collectively since 1883 when native businessmen and moguls opened a brewery right here. Quickly after a brewmaster made his “Pearl” beer, whose identify got here from the foamy bubbles within the freshly poured glass which resembled glowing pearls.
It wasn’t till the 2010s that this space turned developed into the Pearl we see at present, with flats, motels, outlets, eating places, an enormous garden, the Culinary Institute of America, and a contemporary brewery. It’s a terrific place to spend a sunny afternoon, have a drink and a chew to eat, and store!
A number of the greatest locations to take a look at are:
- Feliz Fashionable – This tremendous colourful store focuses on curating gadgets made by unbiased artists & makers, and is like stepping right into a residing portray. You will discover tremendous enjoyable playing cards, zany earrings and jewellery, Taylor Swift presents, and many different enjoyable issues which have a Texan vibe. I discovered so many issues I needed for myself and loads of issues to provide as presents!
- The Twig E book Store – This intimate bookstore is jam-packed with wonderful reads, with loads of books highlighting the historical past of San Antonio! That is the place I picked up my ebook on Cornyation and loads of wonderful souvenirs. You by no means know while you’ll want a ebook… in my case, one other one!
- The Meals Corridor at Bottling Division – The Meals Corridor has 4 fast service meals choices you possibly can choose as much as eat inside or within the park proper exterior the doorways. You’ll be able to get pleasure from Mexican avenue meals from Chilaquil, pizza from Wonderslice, or Caribbean meals at Mi Roti, which has yummy curry hen and roti, a buttery flatbread. It’s also possible to seize a drink to go on the Park Bar, like a frozen boozy lemonade good for a scorching day!
- Southerleigh Nice Meals & Brewery – Southerleigh touts itself as “Texas Cross-cultural Delicacies and Craft Brewery” with a seasonally rotating menu. The craft brewery is a throwback to the Pearl’s unique brewery which began all of it, and you’ll even get a “Pearl on the Patio” beer which pays homage to the unique beer. Pair this with Southerleighs Well-known Fried Hen and you’ve got a meal! There’s additionally a drink cart exterior, the place you seize a drink like a powerful Sangria to get pleasure from your stroll across the Peal.
Try one of many Many Museums
Typically the easiest way to seek out the center and soul of a metropolis is to go to a museum (or 5)! San Antonio is a many-faceted metropolis, from the Alamo to its Indigenous Inhabitants to modern artwork, so testing a specialty museum is an effective way to see all of the nuances and many various cultural lenses.
Listed below are among the greatest museums to go to:
- The Briscoe Western Artwork Museum – The Briscoe Westen Artwork Museum is the place to assist put the story of the American West into perspective, from the Native Individuals who name/known as Texas dwelling to the European settlers. Within the three-level museum, you possibly can discover artifacts resembling settler’s stagecoaches, saddles, spurs and coated wagons, in addition to Native American drawings, sketches, work, and sculptures.
- The McNay – What’s now the McNay Museum was as soon as the house of a lady named Marion Koogler McNay, an Ohio-born heiress who bought her first trendy oil portray, Diego Rivera’s Delfina Flores, and commissioned the 24-room Spanish Colonial-Revival home, which turned the primary trendy artwork museum in Texas. Strolling the grounds is like being in a elaborate Nineteen Twenties movie, with fountains and formal gardens, with every room highlighting trendy artwork from vases to life-size sculptures, to colourful pop artwork.
- Hopscotch – Hopscotch San Antonion is an immersive artwork expertise, the place you don’t simply have a look at artwork, however turn out to be a part of the artwork your self! There are reveals like huge, room-size murals, telephones the place you possibly can take heed to recordings of tourists’ secrets and techniques (and you’ll go away your individual!), a digital graffiti wall, a corridor of neon lights, and extra all in a darkish and magical setting. There’s additionally a bar earlier than you enter, so you possibly can seize a zodiac-themed drink earlier than you “go down the rabbit gap”! You’ll be able to seize your ticket prematurely as effectively!
- San Antonio Museum of Artwork – The San Antonio Museum of Artwork has a balanced assortment of lovely artworks from around the globe, together with a formidable assortment of historic Greek statues and vases, in addition to a good-sized assortment of Egyptian artifacts. One of the crucial fascinating and beautiful reveals is the Latin American Widespread Artwork gallery, the place colourful sculptures, masks, and miniatures exploring the themes of life and demise in Latin tradition take middle stage.
Get Scared on a Ghost Tour
San Antonio is a really outdated metropolis, and particularly the place wars have been fought, there’s a tense vitality that by no means appears to go away the place. As our information Robert identified from RJA Ghost Excursions, the Alamo is principally only a large graveyard.
Even for those who aren’t a powerful believer in ghosts, taking a ghost tour provides you the possibility to see town at night time, find out about who lived, labored and died in San Antonio, and provides you a style of historical past you would possibly in any other case miss.
A whole lot of the buildings downtown are historic, together with many motels just like the Menger, which is presupposed to have 45 ghosts in there alone. Apparently, Teddy Rosevelt is a visitor who by no means actually left the Menger Bar, the place he famously chosen his Tough Riders again in 1898.
You may additionally see the ghostly apparition of a maid from the 1870s on the Menger, Sallie White, nonetheless making beds after her husband killed her in a jealous rage exterior the lodge one night time.
Even the Alamo has had its share of ghost encounters – when Santa Anna ordered his males to tear down the remainder of the Alamo after the battle, the lads noticed six ghosts or “diablos” come out to defend the Alamo as soon as extra. That’s fairly disturbing!
To be taught all in regards to the ghosts of San Antonio, and extra in regards to the metropolis’s wealthy and unusual historical past, try RJA Ghost Excursions. They’re enjoyable, a bit hokey, and undoubtedly spooky – particularly for those who discover out you’re staying in a haunted lodge!
The place to Keep in San Antonio
While you’re coming to San Antonio, it’s greatest to remain for a number of days and discover all town has to supply! The very best space is certainly by the Alamo downtown, this fashion you possibly can stroll to many of the central points of interest and it makes for a scenic and straightforward time.
A number of the greatest choices on this space are:
- Lodge Gibbs – Situated catty-corner to the Alamo, this lodge is clear and trendy and tremendous snug, and comes with a complimentary buffet breakfast. The very best a part of all? You’ll be able to actually have a room that overlooks the Alamo (I did!) and it’s an effective way to begin and finish your day. I all the time felt tremendous near the motion (I had a seat for the Battle of the Flowers parade proper by the lodge) and the River Stroll is only some minutes away.
- Sonder The Atlee – If a trip rental is extra your factor, this spacious and tremendous vivid house is the right place to name dwelling base. It’s simply two blocks away from the Alamo and has two bedrooms, good for those who’re touring with buddies or household.
- Lodge Contessa – If you wish to keep proper on the River Stroll (which is totally comprehensible), this charming and colourful lodge has beautiful suites and a pool with a scorching tub for these scorching Texan afternoons. You’ll be able to come out and stroll alongside the River Stroll at any time after all, too!
Concerning the Writer: Richie Goff is a Louisville, Kentucky native with a terrific love of the outside. When he isn’t rising flowers for enjoyable, he’s the Editor-in-Chief of Sensible Wanderlust and Let’s Go Louisville. He has been a good friend of Lia’s since highschool, and so they have taken loads of their very own disaster-prone adventures collectively!
Are you excited to go to San Antonio but? Which of these items in San Antonio are you dying to do (most likely go to Fiesta, proper?)? Drop your feedback and questions on visiting San Antonio within the feedback under!
Psst: Planning a go to to Texas or the West? Try a few of our different posts that will help you plan your journey!
Did you discover this publish inspiring? Put it aside for in a while Pinterest!
Disclaimer: This publish was created in partnership with Go to San Antonio. All opinions and tremendous corny jokes are 100% my personal and completely not their fault.
Our High Journey Ideas & Sources
- Reserving Flights: To attain flight offers, search on Google Flights or Kayak. Cash-saving suggestions: fly mid-week or on the weekend; fly carry-on solely on a funds airline; and take red-eyes or early morning flights.
- Lodging: We normally keep in budget-friendly trip leases, boutique motels or non-public rooms in hostels. We use Reserving.com to ebook motels (we love their versatile cancellation coverage) and Hostelworld to ebook hostels (low deposit, simple change/cancellation, and wonderful evaluations). For trip leases, we favor to ebook utilizing VRBO as a result of they have decrease charges and higher help than Airbnb, and we’re not followers of Airbnb’s unethical observe report. It’s also possible to ebook trip leases on Expedia and Lodges.com. We additionally use TrustedHousesitters as each hosts (for our dwelling and our fur-child) and vacationers!
- Journey Insurance coverage: We all the time, all the time, ALWAYS purchase journey insurance coverage for worldwide journeys, and we STRONGLY counsel it – go to our Journey Insurance coverage Information to seek out out why. We suggest both World Nomads or SafetyWing for worldwide journey insurance coverage. SafetyWing is among the few insurance policies that covers Covid-19, and so they have wonderful month-to-month insurance policies which can be good for Digital Nomads and long run vacationers!
- Journey Credit score Card: We ebook all of our journeys on our favourite journey bank card. Not solely will we earn money again that we are able to spend on extra journey, however the card presents improbable journey perks like journey insurance coverage, journey delay and cancellation protection, misplaced baggage reimbursement, and rental automobile protection, which helps defend us on our travels. Be taught extra right here.
- Vaccines & Meds: We use the journey guides on the CDC web site to analysis beneficial medicines and vaccines for worldwide journeys. We all the time suggest getting each vaccine beneficial by the CDC! You will get them at your main care physician’s workplace or a walk-in pharmacy.
- Excursions: We love reserving guided excursions, particularly meals excursions and strolling excursions, to get an area’s perspective and a historical past lesson whereas sight-seeing! We ebook our excursions utilizing Viator and GetYourGuide.
- Transportation: We use Rome2Rio to determine how one can get from place to position, and ebook native transportation on-line utilizing Bookaway wherever we are able to. Once we ebook a rental automobile, we use DiscoverCars to match rental firms and discover one of the best deal.
- Baggage Storage: At any time when we’re testing early or making the most of a protracted layover, we use LuggageHero to securely retailer our baggage whereas we’re operating round. Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
- VPN Service: A VPN retains your digital data (like web site login particulars, financial institution data, and many others) secure, even while you’re related to an unsecured community whereas touring. Plus, it permits you to use Netflix & different streaming websites overseas! We use NordVPN. Use the code WANDERLUSTPROMO while you enroll!
- What to Pack: Listed below are the journey necessities that we carry on each journey. We even have packing lists for scorching climate, chilly climate, and plenty of extra. Check out all of our packing guides!